Planting grass seed can be a very confusing topic. The awareness about it is not very high and there can be a lot of questions that can go unanswered. It is a very popular hobby that has picked up recently.
What are grass seeds?
Grass seeds are harvested from grass plants. These seeds are derived from those grasses that have not been mowed. They are allowed to grow tall. They have seed heads which are known as an inflorescence. These heads emerge, flower and stick out for pollination. When the grass plant is fully mature, it implies that the seed has become hard and can be naturally dispersed or collected by the grower.
It has to be treated as if it were a farm crop. The flip side is that any weed in the lawn will also go to seed.
Preparation is the most crucial part of planting grass seed.
The grass ought to be watered properly. It is best to use organic matter and fertilizers without chemicals to prepare ideal soil conditions. it is vital to coax the small grass seeds to develop the seed heads.
Steps to planting grass seed
- Find out which grass grows best. Grass types can vary depending on the weather and the geographical location. A healthy lawn all through the year depends on this.
- Study your yard conditions. The health of the grass depends on both the weather conditions as well as the yard conditions.
- Purchase grass seed from a reputable source.
- Calculate the quantity needed for planting grass seed. Online calculators are available to a few seed collectors. This number is important. Too much or too little will become an issue. Overseeded areas grow thin and unhealthy grass. The nourishment in the grass will be insufficient. Too little seeds will leave patches in the ground.
- Soil preparation is another important part of the process. Till the topmost layer of the soil. Grass seeds take root better. A machine that can be used to break up the soil will help out a lot. And before doing that, ensure that sticks, stones and other impediments are removed.
- Level the ground. Water pooling during rains must not be allowed. Add top soil to the uneven patches.
- Fertilized soil promotes the growth of the grass significantly.
- Scatter the seeds. For this also, the entire process can be mechanised by using equipment meant specifically to scatter seeds. These tools help to shoot the grass seeds in all corners of the lawn. They can be spread by hand if the lawn area is smaller.
- Protect the seeds by spreading a thin layer of top soil. This can be done manually or mechanically. When seeds are newly planted, they need time to take root and will need to b protected until then.
- Make sure that the grass seeds are watered until they are completely damp. A mist setting to the garden hose head will do. They need to be watered daily. This may continue until the seeds germinate and the grass grows a few inches.
- Keep people away from trampling all over the newborn Protect the lawn from all forms of harm.
Today, a professional contractor or a scythe gets the job done very well.