It sure is quite desirable to have a garden of your own. Desirable it is, but surely intimidating too. There is no denying this fact. As dreamy as it may sound to have your own garden, it is as demanding a task to set up a beautiful one, maintain it and ensure that your garden thrives. Yes, to know how to make a garden and implementing that is indeed interesting, inviting, challenging, satisfying, time consuming, rewarding all of this and more.
But, this certainly need not make you want to give up on your idea. Your garden is probably going to be the first impression that visitors have of your home. So, it sure is a wise idea to take care of it. Along with caring, once you add a little bit of planning to the whole process, you can be assured that your foray into the field of gardening will be quite successful.
What actually goes into the planning process?
You are sure to have several ideas or notions about how to make a garden.
Right from the structure, layout, the vastness, whether it should be a blend of concrete and green area, if you want to have flowers of various colours or just stick to anything specific.
However, the way you visualise your garden to look like, there are a few basic planning ideas that can help with successful gardening:
- One aspect that you should look into foremost is where you place your garden. It always works well, to locate your green space where you can view it very often. The more you see it, the more inviting and motivating it will be for you to nourish and nurture it.
- Ensure that your choice of location receives ample sunlight and of course there is accessibility to water. Quite naturally, it is sunlight and water that ensure that your garden thrives.
- The kind of soil available or present is also pertinent to the health of your garden. You may want to grow a particular plant, but if the soil you have does not support it, then it is wise to think of other options. For this, you may need to get your soil checked and tested. But, this definitely is worth the effort.
It will save you a lot of time and keep you from disappointment and disillusionment.
Suitable soil and healthy plants always go hand in hand.
- While discussing soil, what comes next is most surely your choice of plants. Yes, the kind of soil definitely does impact your choice of plants. But another important factor that you must bear in mind before you learn how to make a garden, is the climatic conditions in your area. Soil and climate both impact the growth of plants. There is no point in trying to grow plants that are not conducive to growing in your climatic region. One option here is for you to try out growing just one specific type of plant. In case that succeeds, then you could definitely go ahead.
- Once you have reached this far, you will surely need the right kind of gardening implements and tools. And why not? After all, you will certainly want the time you spend outdoors sprucing up your garden to be enjoyable. While there are several different types of equipment available, the rule of thumb is to start off with a few basic ones, and then once you have established a routine and the tools that work best for you, you could go and pick up similar ones.
- Never ignore your garden. Caring for and nurturing your green space is very vital. Let’s just say it can also be quite therapeutic. Yes, your garden will have enough to keep you occupied the whole day, but it’s up to you to plan your schedule. Weeding, trimming, providing support for certain plants are all time consuming. Also, some plants may require more care than others. But, if you can patiently attend to these needs regularly, consider your job is done and you have learnt the art of how to make a garden that is green and pretty.